Monday, February 06, 2006
What is a marionette?
Zoë and Gus decided to put on a puppet show today. They invited Julie and Sam and I to come into the front room for a performance. I want to put up a video, but it is very late now. Perhaps tomorrow I will bust out something quickly. The play consisted of two stages, 12 characters, several in audience apperances, stunts, love, surgery, and death! I actually liked it a lot more than Death of a Salesman starring Dustin Hoffman , sorry Dustin it wasn't you, it was the material. Maybe it was because the topic was very disturbing, maybe it hit a little too close to home, or maybe it was all the talking to themselves, whatever it was it makes me feel sad I ever watched it. It is my fault I watched it though. After reading the play in High School I wanted to see the play but opted to rent the movie instead. I never really appreciate a play when they are just read. Plays really take on a whole new meaning when they are acted out, and shouldn't they? I mean they are meant to be performed! Besides, it seems when I read a play it takes 4-8 hours to read it. When I go to a play they usually last 2-3 hours! What is up with that? I must be a slow reader. Oh, sorry back to the kids. Gus and Zoë had an amazing performance. I say Gus and Zoë because they never mentioned the title of the play, however the opening scene was by far the best part. It opens with two narrators discussing the type of play that will be watched. They are comical and give us a good awakening. However, the play does decend from there without plot or purpose. It lacks consistent character growth, and in this viewers eyes really needs some work in the presentation department. The scenes were non-existent. The play consists mostly of puppets, however, they all seem to have a very similar voice and repeat nearly the same lines. Although the puppet outfits are cute, I had a hard time sitting still for the 8 minutes they were performing. To its benefit the play ends on a good note. The doctor performing surgery does all he can but the patient dies and Sammy walks! Sam can walk! Seriously he can walk 4 steps now. He was taking a few steps between furniture later this evening, but Julie got him to walk from me to her and that was 4 steps. We did get video of the entire play...well most of it and some walking, but of course not the 4 steps...I had just turned off the camera when he took the steps...Video to come soon, I hope.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment