Sunday, August 10, 2008

Potty time

Sam is finally getting potty trained.  Those of you who know us... as if our readership is larger than those who know us... thanks for reading all two of you.  For those of you who haven't been here I have posted three times in a week!  Wow that might be more than all of the posts combined... Oh yea, Sam.  Sam is our little terror.  He doesn't cry as much as Gus did, but he is much more rambunctious and he definitely makes the rest of the kids scream at least as much as Gus did before he was born.  He is an athlete, loud, persistent, smart, and able to run more computer games, online games, Wii games, etc than his big brother and sister.  I say smart because he can already read some words and he likes to spell.  I say video gamer because from the moment he wakes to the moment he is asleep is constantly trying to turn on the television, Wii, Nintendo DS, and Computer.  His ideal situation is to have a desk with all four of these things simultaneously running so that he is constantly entertained and learning.  Although he loves to jump around so he probably wouldn't want a chair.  Yesterday he was on the computer and he was learning to spell certain words.  He could finish the words before the computer and he would laugh at how smart he was.  He also takes pride in pointing out when something is funny.  "That's funny Daddy?"  he will say.  Especially if he flings ketchup or something on a person, "That's funny Daddy?"  I will say no and then he says "Yes it is."  He knows just when to say yes, and he is even better at knowing when to say no.  Some people from the church we attend came over the other night to give us a message about reserving Monday nights for family night.  We already keep this tradition as much as we have energy for, but when they were done they told the kids "We know, that your parents know, that this principle is true."  He looked at them with his head cocked to the side  and said with the longest syllables he could  hold onto, "That's not right."  It was pretty funny for those of you who know what a visit like that can be like.  I applaud their efforts, and the visit was great, but I am proud of Sam for recognized how weird it is to put words into peoples mouths.  I do know how true the principle is they were presenting but our kids moments of brilliance trump well intentioned messages!  

As you know Julie has recently had surgery on her foot which keeps her off of her feet.  This past week Julie's sweet mom returned to Utah and  we found ourselves once again on our own.  I tried to hold down the fort but was a bit overwhelmed.  Julie's mom had the best intentions of helping Sam become potty trained, but since she waited until the day before she left to get started I was grumpily compliant and sure that we were headed for disaster and diapers in less than 24 hours.  I am happy to say that Sam had one accident while Julie's mom was here and hasn't had one since.  Insert the sound of knuckles knocking on wood.  I guess we shouldn't expect anything less from a child who can already do a hand stand and a triple back flip.  I mean anyone with that kind of muscle control should be able to control their bladder and bowel movements.  Nevertheless, the Lord has blessed us with what Julie and her mother keep referring to as a "tender mercy" from the Lord.  In which, God gives us a gift we are in desperate need of and that makes this life a bit more bearable!  Whatever it is I am sleeping more soundly tonight and less grumpy than I thought I would be.  Here is a pretty cute video of him getting ready to go.  BTW, he actually goes by himself regularly already, it has only been 4 days!  Amazing, simply amazing.  I shouldn't brag, but it makes me so happy.

5 comments:

Turbo said...

Hahahaha, Sam is so awesome.

Jana said...

I love that you shut off the camera JUST as it we were all about to be mooned! Yay for Sammy and "unders"!

SLP said...

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeet stuff Dad - great job.

PS - Love to see your regular posts...

Sherene said...

Congrats Sam! I can't wait until K is potty trained. ;)

Andrae said...

Hello from the Griffin's! I am glad that Julie is doing well. I am one of your blog readers, but I stopped checking for awhile b/c there wasn't anything. The catching up has been fun. I am jealous of your success with the potty training. Ray (little Ray) refuses to have anything to do with it. He goes into histerics, kicking, screaming, and biting if necessary to keep us from putting him on the toilet. I am baffled. He even refuses treats or bribes of any kind. Maybe I met my quota of "tender mercies", we have had a lot this year. Say hello to Julie and tell her she looks so beautiful in those pictures.